Casseroled Partridge with Red Cabbage, Wine & Chestnuts (Serves 2 to 3)
- 25g / 1 oz. Dripping or Butter.
- 50g / 2 oz. Streaky Bacon cut into small pieces.
- 3 Partridges.
- 1 Red Cabbage.
- 2 Cooking Apples peeled, sliced and diced.
- 225g / 8 oz. Chestnuts (fresh, tinned or vacuum-packed).
- Salt and Pepper.
- 450 ml / ¾ Pint Red Wine.
- Melt the fat in a casserole dish and brown the bacon pieces, remove and brown the partridge all over.
- Wash the cabbage, shred it, place half the cabbage in the bottom of the casserole dish with the diced apple, then add the partridge, bacon and chestnuts, adding salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover with the remaining cabbage and pour in the wine.
- Cover the casserole tightly and place in a moderately slow oven (325°F / 170°C / Gas Mark 3) for 1½ to 2 hours.
- Serve with creamy mashed potatoes and a fresh green salad.
Recipe courtesy of Catherine Braid, The Green Tea House, Moniaive